2016 is a year that I will always remember for the rest of my life. This year was filled with a lot of setbacks and turbulence for me. I learned a great deal about myself and how to become more patient while trying to figure out what my main purpose in life is. There are 10 things that I learned about myself in 2016 that has helped me become a better person in the duration of this year.
10 Things I Learned in 2016
1.Being in a romantic relationship with someone does not define who I am.
2.Figuring out whether or not I want to stay in online school or go back to a public university.
3. Applying for various job positions and feeling rejected and useless when not offered a job
4. Building a better relationship with God and figuring out what direction he wants me to go in life.
5.Joining a small group for Christian women and being comfortable talking about my life issues with my sisters in Christ.
6. Turning 21 does not mean I have fully reach adulthood.
7. Making the decision to become a blogger and creating content that can help inspire people to be successful in different areas in their life.
8. Becoming a mentor at my online university and getting the opportunity to give advice to other students on how they can excel in school and life.
9. Committing more hours in participating in community service projects in my city.
10. Being content and patient where I am in life and not be so in a rush to accomplish certain things at one given time.
- Being in a romantic relationship with someone does not define who I am– During the beginning of this year, I was dating a guy that I was unsure if we were in on the same page with one another. I thought I liked him, but I had to realize we were not compatible for one another. I was heartbroken when my ex wanted to break-up and thought my world was ending. That was the best decision anyone could have ever
made for me because it made me realize that I do not have to be involved with someone to feel complete. Happiness is the state of the mind, not who you are in a relationship with.
- Figuring out whether or not I want to stay in online school or go back to a public university. I was in a crossroads with myself because I did not know for sure whether or not I wanted to continue my career at an online school. I felt as though I was obligated to go back to the school I went for my freshman year, but had to come to realization that it does not matter what college I attend as long as I am able to learn and get a college degree.
- Applying for various job positions and feeling rejected and useless when not offered a job. I literally applied to over 100 jobs and many of the companies that I applied to did not me a job position. I was tired of feeling as though things were not changing for the better. I wanted to get a job because I wanted to start being financially independent. No one likes feeling rejected and every time I went on an interview I felt as though my confidence level was getting lower and lower. I possess the qualities of a natural-born leader and knew a company would recognize my work ethic one day. I’m so happy that I am now working for a company who believed in me when no one else did and actually took a chance on me.
- Building a better relationship with God and figuring out what direction he wants me to go in life. I have had a lukewarm relationship with God and I knew that I would never be fully complete until I gave recognition to the spiritual being who created me and is there in my good and bad times. It has being a long and hard journey with being a Christian, however I am determine to do what God wants me to do with my life and show others how God can change your life for the better.
- Joining a small group for Christian women and being comfortable talking about my life issues with my sisters in Christ. I have always had a hard time trying to find individuals who are believers in Jesus Christ and not trying to do what the world sees as acceptable. Heather Lindsey, a spiritual leader who makes videos on Youtube has a Christian organization for women of all ages called Pinky Promise. I joined Pinky Promise and was able to build a bond with women who are my sisters in Christ and help each other grow closer to God.
- Turning 21 does not mean I have fully reach adulthood. I have always had the mindset since I was a little girl no matter what age I turned do ever but limitations on yourself. Turning 21 is just another number, each year I getting a little older and learning more about myself, but I still have some growing up to do. I am thankful to God for allowing me to grace this Earth for 21 years. Adulthood does not come with age, but with maturity. You can be the oldest person in the room, but it does not make you smarter or wiser than anyone else.
- Making the decision to become a blogger and creating content that can help inspire people to be successful in different areas in their life. The best decision I have made this year was becoming a blogger. I have always had a passion for writing and now I get to highlight my craft by publishing articles that will get the attention of different age groups. I do not write blogs for the fame or fortune, but to just be a service to others. Blogging is my way to discuss things I have went through in my life or things I feel as though needs to be addressed.
- Becoming a mentor at my online university and getting the opportunity to give advice to other students on how they can excel in school and life. I had to come to the realization that there are many people living in this world who need someone to be a helping hand to them. I think a lot of people do not realize the struggles some individuals go through on a daily basis. I wanted to have the opportunity to show others that no matter what life issues they may be going through, God always sends someone to encourage and motivate them to not give up.
- Being content and patient where I am in life and not be so in a rush to accomplish certain things at one given time. This year has been filled with many rollercoaster ride and at times I have become impatient and just discouraged. It took time and a lot of mediation for me to understand that life will always has it twists and turns, but that does not have to force me to become bitter. I’ve had my moments where I just wanted to quit my goals and just not care anyone or any thing. God has a plan for my life so it would be very selfish for me to give up when he always constantly blessing when it seems as though I am undeserving of the gifts I granted.
I do not have any regrets regarding the situations I have experienced in 2016 because it has made more ambitious than ever before to reach as many goals as I can. Each year I always try to do better than what I did the previous year. Life is full of trials and tribulations. 2016 was really my comeback year and I am super excited for all the endeavors I will pursue in the upcoming year. I am thankful and appreciative of everything God has bestowed upon me to have in 2016. I know 2017 will be even better and I will try my best to always to never forget where I started because the road will not be easy, but eventually I will soon discover what my purpose is in life. Happy New Year everyone!!!